Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A different sort of vacation

CanCun was, by all accounts, a great vacation. But here's the thing: it was a different sort of vacation. In the past, vacations meant freedom--from work schedules, the demands of the daily grind, and all the other responsibilities that keep one tethered and tired. Vacationing with a baby, or children, I would guess, is different in that you're still tied to the schedule. The feedings, the naps, the bedtime. Sure, there's some flexibility, but not much because altering the timeline too drastically means an ugly meltdown.

So when the rest of the family was sunning and drinking on the beach, we were headed up to the room to get the Little One out of the sun and down for a nap. This nap thing? It happens twice a day. And that bedtime thing? Well, Becca goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:00, which means long leisurely dinners are not an option. Hell, long and leisurely anything is not an option because attention spans and patience are short in wee ones.

I don't mean to bitch and boohoo I-had-to-take-my-kid-to-Mexico-feel-bad-for-me. That's not it. Seeing Becca on the beach was such a joy. And the trip was relaxing, in it's own way. It was simply different. It's odd that you think you've settled into this new role of parent and you think you know how it goes when suddenly something comes up and you're like, "Hmm, how to handle this now that there are three?"

(And since Becca learned to crawl--I mean chuck it across the room like a rocket--and pull herself up on anything and everything while we were on vacation, parenting as I've known it is ALL OVER. Constant line of sight and baby-proofing in full effect. God help me!)

2 comments:

Mike Z said...

It sure is different, vacationing with kids. (That's why, every once in a while you and the banker need to get a weekend away!) But, in my experience, as you make the adjustements to you expectations about schedules and freedom - vacations with kids get to be more and more fun. (Now, we don't have any teen-aged kids yet, I have that to look forward to - but the thing is, I am looking forward to it - and we have 5 kids (11, 10, 7, 5, 4). We vacation at the same place on Lake Michigan each summer and it gets better and better. (Oh yeah, and it was a good vacation when we started!) The beach pictures sure are precious - what a cutie.

Kat said...

Mike--You're entirely right about adjusting expectations, and that's what The Banker and I discovered we needed to do. There are so many places I can't wait to show Becca, so many experiences I want her to have, though, admittedly, she needs to be older for many of them. A yearly trip to the lake sounds like a great way of balancing the needs of family with relaxation. What fun!