Monday, July 14, 2008

A creative labor

One of the most aggravating parts of making a "living" as a writer/editor, is the relative ease friends and family treat what you do. I don't know how many times someone has cheerfully chided me to "just write that children's book already," as if to do so I would need merely to concentrate really hard and POP! out a manuscript, much like a chicken lays an egg. Viola! There it is. Such a marvel and produced so effortlessly. (Now I think if I'd shown an interest in writing a novel, than that would be a different story. That invokes images of angst-ridden time alone in some dimly lit room, writer's block hanging like an albatross about the neck, causing the gnashing of teeth and ripping of hair.) But no, writing a children's book must be so EASY. After all, every Hollywood star has managed to do it. How hard can that be?

I have trouble explaining to people that there's this small thing called inspiration, which I've been sadly lacking lately. And then there's the whole other issue of quiet, private time in which to write. I can't even go to the bathroom unassailed anymore let alone write much for myself. Between the parenting articles I spit out every month, the inane work I'm doing at my old Really Big Company (part-time brainless data entry that the other editors never get to because they're doing CREATIVE things), and the move, there's been precious little extra time.

But really, I'm making excuses. Because I have one story written and another two so well outlined that it would take little blood, sweat, or tears to bring a rough, rough draft into existence. It's the next step that has rendered me powerless.

I know enough to know that getting a book published is damn difficult. I know that self-publishing entails monetary freedom I don't have. I know that, for the most part, you have to have an agent to get published from a reputable publishing house--but to have an agent you need to be published. Catch-22, anyone? And I don't live in a publishing mecca. There are some small local publishing companies, but not many. And what few contacts I had while living in Chicago have grown so stale as to be useless. So I'm at a standstill. I've always, always wanted to publish something of my own, (and have all the writer's guides and background research to know a thing or two about the process), but knowing where to go from here has left me feeling creatively stalled.

4 comments:

Mike Z said...

Perhaps Magazine Man has a contact or two that would be helpful??

Kat said...

Mike--I've thought about it, but I'm afraid to be a bother. It seems odd to ask someone I've never met for a favor. Here I go, hemming and hawing. =-)

Mike Z said...

I understand (but I must admit from the link on his blog I thought that you might be aquainted). I wrote him an email once (desrcibing myslef as a long time lurker) and he was very kind in his response to me. But I certainly uderstand your reticence. If it's any help, I'm cheering for you from the anonymous seats!

Kat said...

Aahh...the reference made in the link. It all goes back to this little blog post: http://throughkatseyes.blogspot.com/2005/10/you-can-feel-it-in-air.html

Gives everything a bit of context. =-) And thanks for the support from the cheering section!