Thursday, October 22, 2009

Parenting FAIL

This post right here? This is where I admit a serious parenting FAIL. Me? I'm holding the TV hostage...in exchange for successes on the potty. One successful potty trip=One Mickey Mouse Club House show (plus candy, sticker on potty chart, and more).

Why the cruel tactics? The kiddo is 2-and-a-half and the last girl in her Mother's Day Out class in diapers. Next year she'll have to be potty trained to attend preschool as well as her spanish class. Maybe she's not ready, some would argue. What they don't understand is that she TOTALLY GETS IT. I caught her peeing in her diaper the other day and asked if she wanted me to change her. She put out her palm and informed me, "The feeling will go away soon." Yea. That's called an absorbent diaper, which DOES make the wet feeling go away "soon." BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

It's not like we haven't tried previously. A lot. A sticker chart, M&Ms, and a cool ride-on toy were not motivation enough. (I even succumbed to watching an episode of Dr. Phil in which he guaranteed potty training in one weekend. I bought the peeing doll, the party horn blowers, the whole nine yards. Dr. Phil is full of crap, and my hardwood floors were immersed in pee.)

So we're trying again, with varied success over the last three days. And oh, is this child stubborn. And oh, do I really, really, really hate this process. Because denying the girl TV is punishing me as much as it's motivating her.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Was just reading through the Pioneer Woman's comments today and just had to come and visit the person who said "I only wish my babysitter hadn’t expired when she did" - that's a dodgy way of putting it!!! She didn't die did she!!!? ;-)

Kat said...

Haha! It was a bit melodramatic, wasn't it Sam? I used expired as in to "run out," which the babysitter promised to do if I wasn't home by 10. Such behavior from a sitter shouldn't be endured...except said sitter was my sister. (Hey there, Sis!) So I guess I can't complain. (Although my book went unsigned. Grumble, grumble. Yep, complaint!)

pilgrimchick said...

Oh wow--what a challenge, especially when the girl knows you're trying to get her to do something, too.

~Lisa~ said...

I love you blog. I can relate in many ways. I enjoy your writing style and the stories behind it. Thanks for sharing!