Friday, July 27, 2007

Ridiculous

I know it's absurd. Honestly, I do. But ever since I finished the final installment of Harry Potter last night at the exhausting hour of 1:30, I've suffered from the deepest melancholy. Funny how a book can so pull me into it's world, so utterly blot out what goes on outside. And today of all days, I needed the escape.

The Jeep's window, which refused to work yesterday led to a discovery of a fuel line leak. Over $500 to fix that sucker. And then the call from "The Prick" at my old insurance company, from when I worked at The Really Big Company. It seems there's a state law that The Banker and I had never heard of that specifies that since The Banker's birthday was before mine and since he was employed at the time of Becca's birth, state law demanded that his insurance company provide primary coverage for Peanut and mine secondary. WTF?

Since my coverage was better than The Banker's, we'd opted to cover Becca under my insurance. When we decided I'd remain at home, we switched Becca and myself to The Banker's coverage. But now my old insurance company is trying to duck out of paying Becca's bills, due to this unheard of "state law." Essentially, the old insurance company is going to haggle with The Banker's insurance company over every cent it paid out since Becca's birth. But Becca wasn't covered under his insurance! And who do you think will be responsible for the charges that both companies refuse to cover?

I HATE insurance companies. And I hate that I can't turn to Harry, Ron, and Hermione to get my mind off all this shit. It looks like I'll be turning to Little Children--the latest book club choice--for a much-needed vacation from all this. 'Cause I seriously, seriously need a break right about now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the best days of my childhood was when a friend's mom helped me to realize that by reading a book I could travel to another time and another place where all my problems didn't exist. To this day when things get to be too much, even if it is just 15 min of reading, it usually calms me down. The insurance thing will all work out. Don't stress it!

Mike Z said...

I suggest you read the Harry Potter book again. I have read it twice. THe first time, I paid less attantion to the story and hte details because I wanted know what was goin to happen. Now that I know the main points, reading the book a second time was much less anxious and more enjoyable. (and you can skip the parts you find dull). I am still not exactly sure I understand all the reasons for happened in the last 100 pages. (Was it hallows, command of the elder wand, Harry's goodness and selflessness or all three)? It's worth reading again. Oh, and take nap. I;ve been dragging around since my two consecutive 2:30 AM readings!

Be at peace. THe insurance thing will be a pain in the neck, but it will work out.

Kat said...

Re-reading Harry Potter is a good idea, Mike, (though I'm now thoroughly engrossed in The Historian--a great read!). And Melissa, the good news is that a second opinion has determined the insurance company is misreading the state law, and a threat to contact the Department of Labor is keeping the company at bay...so far. Cross your fingers!