Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Holiday Meltdown

Well, it's been almost a month--and part of me is wondering whether keeping such a neglected blog is even worthwhile. But much like my current addiction to candy corn, I keep coming back for more. And having a place to silently scream is quite handy at the moment.

I'm in the midst of, for lack of a better term, a freak out. One month crammed with holiday festivities, gift buying, home decorating, and FIVE ARTICLES. Did I mention I'd agreed to host a mini-reunion of sorts for my high-school class two days after Christmas? (And everyone keeps asking when we're going to give Becca a sibling. AWESOME TIMING.) Unfortunately, The Banker is getting pulled away to every possible work event, family celebration, and such, so there's not a lot of support around here. The Banker's mom hurt her back and can no longer watch Boo. My mom is fighting the flu. Add to that mix some particularly saddening family drama, and I'm having a hard time getting into the holiday spirit.

And I so, so want to be. For Boo. This is the first Christmas she has a bit of a handle on what's going on. She recognizes Santa, his "deer" and the concept that toys get delivered for well-behaved children. This, as they say, is the good stuff, and I don't want to miss out on it.

But with The Banker's bank freezing salaries and abandoning bonuses, I can't turn down any freelance. What little money I can scrounge is so needed by this household. But how I'm supposed to balance such a heavy workload with the demands of the holiday and the needs of a 20-month-old, I have no idea. So if you hear a loud BOOM!, it's probably my head exploding. Fa-la-la-la-la indeed.

1 comment:

Mike Z said...

Hey Kat, hang in there. I am surely sorry to hear of your distress. I hope that ou mother and mother-in-law are on the mend and that you get those articles done.

I only have one little suggestion, as you go about trying to subdue the craziness and get into some semblance of a holiday spirit. Put some Christmas carols - the old style ones that are actually about Jesus being born - on the CD player as background music. And, if that is not enough, imagine yourself in Mary's position - pregnant, riding a donkey for hours a day travelling to a "home" that is not your home because some politician said it was time to have a census, carrying a baby whose existence you can't really explain yet all the while knowing that somehow through all of this pain and discomfort really big, really good things were happening. It doesn't always look good for the good guys. You and the banker and Becca, you're the good guys, too. Keep lovin' one another, huggin' and kissing the little one and we'll keep the stress at bay. Love wins. Merry Christmas - the savior really has come.