Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ugh, ugh, and more ugh

I can not adequately express my distaste for selling a home. We've had three open houses, several showings, and the sum result has been sheer exhaustion on my part. It's the constant cleaning. The constant hiding/putting away. The wrangling of the dogs, cat, and kid, while we open our home to a bunch of trudging strangers. The emotional toll as we hear, "Adorable home!" "So cute!" "Wish it had another bathroom/bedroom."

We live in a cute, little city, built after WWII for returning soldiers. These are not super large houses, though they can be expanded. We have three bedrooms, though admittedly one does serve better as an office. We have one-and-a-half baths. These are our limitations. But we have updated EVERYTHING, (granite! new appliances! refinished hardwoods! new carpet! new paint!), have the sweetest screened-in porch, great flow, and a large kitchen (for this neighborhood).

I'm not made for this. It's very hard for me to wrench open my door, invite strangers in to gawk, judge, and haggle. We fell in love with this house almost six years ago and made an offer within 20 minutes of seeing it. That was such a drastically different market! Now, the market is filled with, as one real estate agent put it, "a lot of bottom feeders keen on getting something for next to nothing."

Is it so much to ask that someone fall in love with this home? That someone would want to make it their starter home, to begin a new life in, to start a family in? It's been such a great home for us, and being who I am, I can't take the emotion out of this process (as I've been urged to do).

The summer months are already filling up with demands and responsibilities, and hanging like an albatross around my neck is this home that I adore. I'm beginning to feel frayed around the edges.

3 comments:

Mike Z said...

Kat,

I do feel for you. When we had to move out of the house that we would never move from (because of the suprising and-still-distant- but-nevertheless-certainly-impending birth of child number four) we settled onth enew house in four days - and then spent six months selling the old house.

Somehow my incredible wife was able to clean and prepare the house, gather up the three children (ages 4, 3 and 1) and disappear while the realtor showed the house time and time again and again from October to Ferbruary - until the perfect buyers (with whom we ar still cordial friends) came along.

Did I mention that she was sick from her pregnancy during this time?

So, we know and can appreciate the difficulty and stress you are experiencing. I only tell you this to say that we survived - and you will too. Spring time is a good time to sell a house. (Although this is a pretty difficult housing market to sell in right now in most places). The biggest problem is in getting your hopes and expectations raised. Of course yours is the most lovely of houses - you are enormously invested in it. A workable offer will come - but it might take a while - so pateince is the word of the day. Patience and keeping a light outlook on the whole thing. If you can expect that it will take a while and that people's tastes are really diverse, then you can sort of steel yourself to the fact that it may take a lot of showings. Think of what a good story you will have to tell when it's over. (Of course, all this was easy for me to deal with - I was at work. It was my wife who had to do all the cleaning, scheduling and child care during these months. ...

You know, I think should bring her flowers again...

Hang in there. You can do this. It won't be much fun - but you can. It's a lovely home - it is also a tough market. Hug Becca, kiss the banker and work hard to keep your expectations for each showing low. Good luck!

jax said...

Ahem, remember-- YOU DON'T HAVE TO ACCEPT ANY OFFER YOU DON'T WANT TO! I was in the same position last year but we were floating TWO mortgages simultaneously to the tune of over $4,300.00. People are such jerks. Try a counter offer two or three thousand bucks below your asking price to let them know you're willing to negotiate but that you aren't desperate and aren't going to give your house away. If they walk, it wasn't meant to be. Someone WILL give you what you want, just be patient. GL =)

Kat said...

Mike--Your wife is truly a saint. I think you need to bring home flowers AND dinner! We're working on being patient and calm, though neither are our strongest character traits.

Jac--We countered to no avail, realizing, as you said, this wasn't the buyer for us. It was hard watching her walk, but I think it was for the best.

Thank you both for your advice! Selling a home is so much more difficult than I ever imagined.