Wednesday, January 18, 2006

An odd outing

On Wednesday, I made a small trip after work to the local YMCA. I was greeted by a kind, energetic woman who gave me a tour of their childcare facility. It wasn't as bad as I'd feared, the children looked happy and well-care for.

Not that we're expecting. But the YMCA only accepts eight infants at a time, and the waiting list is two years long. So it's like a weird bit of insurance. A back up.

So many questions are swarming about. Is this what I want? Would I be okay with my child growing, learning, exploring, without me? I'd always wanted to stay at home...but could I handle that, emotionally, mentally? Can I afford NOT to work? What is best?

Right now, I can't pretend to know, and that's really troubling to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, for a second I read "Not that we are expecting" as "Now that we are expecting."

It's weird because I was thinking of the same kind of issues this morning (not that we are expecting either). I think I would have to get a job with better hours or demand to work from home one day a week. This place is ridiculous about NEVER -- in almost six years -- making deadline. (I was here until almost 8 p.m. last night! Grr!!)