Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A lady of leisure

Having spent another long, annoying, mind-numbing day in a small cubicle on a darkened floor with no windows in sight earning a pittance from corporate America, I've decided I want to be a lady of leisure. A lady who lunches. Or does charity work. Or whatever. I don't care exactly HOW I fill the time, but I'd like to see the sun, feel the breeze, and tell if Armageddon has arrived--which I can't do in my current locale.

My mom is a lady who lunches. Or rather plays tennis, does aerobics, keeps up a house, and works for my dad on Fridays (when she hasn't been fired). And having grown up watching a lady of leisure, it makes my sisters and me all the more aware of how odd that lifestyle is in comparison to our own. But at the moment I'd take it in a flash!

I promise the house would be cleaner, the fridge always stocked, the dogs well behaved, my hips smaller, body more toned, books read, writing improved, and my life in order. But after all that, I suppose I might just get bored. A part-time job I could occasionally get fired from would alleviate that problem, I think.

4 comments:

Pensive Girl said...

i know the feeling. my best friend and i always say that we want to be a lady who lunches probably at nordstrom's cafe or the classic cup. maybe one day....

Anonymous said...

we'll talk tonight.....about me becoming a stay at home dad that is...

Kat said...

Mmmm. Classic Cup is one of my favorite restaurants. I would also gladly lunch at La Bodega, but the sangrias may make it impossible to do anything else with the day. (Which might not be a bad thing!)

Note to The Banker: You as a stay-at-home dad is akin to asking Homer Simpson to mind your children. The TV would so absorb your attention that the house could burn down around you!

theCallowQueen said...

My boyfriend and I met at Minsky's for lunch last week. At the table next to us was a woman who we could see was missing her days as a lady of leisure as she tried to keep her young son and his friend from throwing food items across the room and her highchair-bound daughter from pulling up the paper tablecloth as she tried to stick her head underneath its crayon-marked cover.

If you ever get to that point, Kat, my mother is a terrific nanny. She has her price, of course, but such sacrifices are small to maintain your leisure status. ;)