Sunday, February 05, 2006

The beauty of book club

Had book club on Saturday, and I must say, I loved it! Yes, it was early in the frigid morning after a long night. But there were mimosas, a French-toast bake, brilliant women, and great conversation. What more can you ask for?

We'd read a book that I'd sped through. So little time, so many books, right? So I wouldn't have understood the real craft of the novel if it hadn't been for a few more-careful readers than myself. So many hints I'd missed. So many play-on-words, so much more there than I'd originally seen. I left the meeting with a full stomach and a much greater appreciation for the book.

So thanks, ladies, for a really wonderful time. You're the best!! (And I think mimosas should be included at all of our gatherings...)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what was the book?

I should join a book club ... though I have more than 20 books at home that I haven't read yet.

Kat said...

We read Lolita, which is a twisted little book to be sure. I'm glad I read it, though I don't know if I'd re-read the dirty little novel. =-)

Anonymous said...

I finished "The Dogs of Babel" this weekend. I thought it was interesting.

Anonymous said...

Kat maybe wine-o

Pensive Girl said...

the police talks about Lolita in the song, "don't stand so close to me."
lyrics follow:
Just like the old man in
that book by Nabakov

anyway, i've always kind of wanted to read it....

Kat said...

Jessi--I LOVE that song. (I have a crush on Sting. Sad, but true.) That song is one of my all-time favorites and reminds me of a teacher I once had. Mmmm...

Hope you're feeling better!!

Pensive Girl said...

as long as it's not mr. carnahan, we're still cool :)

i'm feeling better, thanks.

Kat said...

Oh my gawd, NO! Ewww. I went to Europe with that man for a high-school trip--Jess-did you go, too?--and that was more time than I ever wished to spend with him.

Actually, it was a middle school teacher who taught--of all things--literature. I still wonder whatever happened to him...

Pensive Girl said...

i didn't go to europe with him. watching him pick his nose in class was enough..
:)