Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Grr and a Sigh

I have to admit, at the moment I feel slightly sucked dry. Two weekends of charity events for The Banker and all of last Sunday spent in the country celebrating my friend's son's first birthday--with seemingly no time leftover for me. I cancelled riding lessons when I heard the disappointment in my friend's voice when she learned we wouldn't be spending the FULL day in the middle of nowhere with them. (Never mind I'll be out there next weekend for the proper birthday party with loads of people in attendance or the next weekend for a spa party she's throwing.)

The Banker's been spending money on toys--a new palm pilot and DVD player--and planning golfing weekends and more events to further his career. My friend is focused on people coming to her, even though she lives a full hour away in a town with no form of restaurant or entertainment. And I love and adore these people, but I want to scream "ENOUGH! Haven't you taken and taken and taken enough, yet?! Haven't you obsessed and planned and droned on enough?"

I have to remember what the speaker said at the Creative Renewal I attended. People don't push your buttons. YOU push your OWN buttons. People are just people, thinking how they think, acting how they act. It's all a matter of how I think and digest their actions. So yes, The Banker doesn't seem to see that he's been a little selfish lately. And yes, my friend doesn't realize that it's no fun spending eight hours at her home while NASCAR drones on in the background. I shouldn't let these things get to me. I need to change the way I think about them.

But as one writer said to our speaker at the end of the day, "You've taken all the honest enjoyment I once had out of being genuinely annoyed with people." Amen to that!!

No comments: