Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A piece of humble pie

I'm now, officially, the producer of a low-end product. My new job requires me to slightly edit but primarily piece together elements of previous products to form a pseudo-new product that will go to all the Marts of the world. There is something undeniably humbling about this. It's a beginning, a great way to learn this new business inside and out, and I'm assured that I won't remain long. After all, I need to learn the rules before I can know when to break them.

But still. I'm the Ambassador of mediocrity in my given trade. =-) Well, for now anyway.

It's eerily quiet in my cavernous building with so many off for the holidays. And as I mentioned before, my floor is exceedingly dark, since it was once the home of the graphics department. My over-active imagination starts the lights aflickerin' and the horrible horror movie music begins to fade in. I picture row after row of identical cubicles, exit signs that lead to nowhere, and me being chased by some dark figure.

The palm trees, stuffed animals, Christmas decorations, art work, and other personal paraphernalia always kill the mood, though. I've decided, I too, need to funk out my cubicle (referred to as booths at the company, though that makes me think of some terrible carnival where a carnie or clown is stalking me...I think I need to stop reading Gaiman's latest book), but will wait until I get more a feel for this place.

The good news? I have more energy today than I did yesterday and volumes more than I did on Monday. And I think I've found some quirky, like-hearted souls who I hope will appreciate the weirdness in me. So I guess we'll see!!

No comments: