Saturday, December 31, 2005

A year in review

As I gear up for this evening and clean the house for soon-to-arrive guests, I couldn't help but mull over this last year. What have I accomplished? Am I where I want to be? What changes has this year wrought?

Last New Year's was spent in Colorado with my family. We rang in 2005 more with a whimper than with a bang, all of us overstuffed from a great meal and exhausted from a hard day on the slopes. The year would bring a graduation, a wedding, the birth of three babies, a departure from my in-law's house, and a happy return to our own, partially remodeled home. In that span of time a sister-in-law would "come out" into proper society, I would be revel in not being a debutante, The Banker and I would visit the House of the Mouse, I would change jobs, and on Christmas Eve a miracle would occur--my old roommate's husband would turn the corner in his fight for life at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in D.C. An explosive device buried in Iraq would force him home and my roommate would learn the lengths that love will go.

And to capture and remember it all, I started this blog.

There were many things I didn't accomplish that I wish I had this year. I didn't write for myself the way I'd hoped I would. I didn't make leaps and bounds in sculpting something of my own. I'll need to strive to do better in 2006. I need to focus myself and establish some clear-cut goals. I need to be more patient, less judgmental, and more appreciative this year. And I hope to have a helluva lot of fun, too.

But before then, it's time to party. Wishing everyone a safe and happy New Year's!!

1 comment:

theCallowQueen said...

I spent the first part of my New Year's Eve evening with one of your trainers at your big new company. She's one of the sweetest people that I've ever met. And she said how sweet you were, and I knew that Kat hasn't revealed her sarcastic potty mouth yet, which is the part of Kat that I've grown to love. But you have to go and be all professional.

Anyway, it really cool that you two get to work together. I'm jealous. I want to work with you too! I rarely see her much as I now rarely see you. Sigh.

Best wishes in the New Year!