Wednesday, December 07, 2005

What a couple of days

The last few days have been marked by considerable highs and lows, leaving me a bit drained. But the lows weren't all that awfully low (more like annoyances), and the few highs, even if marked with a tinge of sadness, are still blessings nonetheless.

Let's see about the lows...

Got severely lost on my way to the pee test yesterday at the really big company. I was half-an-hour late to my drug test and my supposed "quick lunch hour" stretched to two hours, which mandated I stay late at work last night. Definitely sucky.

Slammed out 20-plus Christmas cards last night, but realized I lacked updated addresses for a good many people I'd wanted to send Season's Greetings to. The Banker managed to write a grand total of five holiday cards. This irked me greatly as I'd done 99.5% of the Christmas shopping and was now fretting about what to make for our neighbors (cookies? bread?). Why don't men have to worry about such things?!?

And last but not least, it's 2:40 in the afternoon and the snow has been falling since this morning. The end result? My new little zippy car is firmly stuck in the office parking lot. The Banker came by at noon in hopes of following me safely home, but the rear-wheel drive couldn't muster enough traction to make it up the slightest, tiniest of inclines in the parking lot. While my wheels spun, a total stranger even started pushing the car while The Banker watched from the distance. WTF? So the car will remain in the parking lot till tomorrow, or even later, when my wee tires can touch asphalt again.

And now for the highs...

I received an e-mail that Willow, the sweet dog I'd adopted off death row, has found a new home. My vet's office had been fostering her the last few weeks and has found a kind man to take Willow and Journey, another dog in need of a home. I'm thrilled! And I want to cry. That dang dog really got to me and part of me had hoped, against all reason, she could be mine. Still, despite the trace of sadness, this is firmly a good thing.

The kind stranger who pushed my car while The Banker watched was hot. He had a New York Mets hat on, scruffy hair, and a heart of gold. And he can push me any day he wants.

And despite its forced retirement of my car, the snow is really quite pretty at the moment and is the first true snow of the season. It's about time. And maybe, just maybe, it will mean a snow day. : )

No comments: