Friday, November 04, 2005

A gypsy housecleaner

I should be cleaning the house right now in preparation for our House Guest. More accurately, The Banker's House Guest. The Banker and the House Guest will swill lotsa beer, make a mess of the house, and go watch men in tight pants run around and tackle each other for money.

I HATE when men in tight pants run around and tackle each other for money. I know, I know. Yet another reason I should become an expat. That and politics, general way of life, and the driving desire to be called mum.

See, The Banker has his Irish citizenship. (Some crazy wife nagged and nagged at him to get it. And what did she get? Jack squat. For after 9-11 Ireland tightened its borders and now no longer grants citizenship by default to spouses of citizens. Bloody hell.)

But I don't think The Banker would ever be down for such a dramatic move. (Our two years in the really big city was actually a really big deal. His parents were pissed. After hearing the news they said, "Oh. We were really hoping you were pregnant." We'd been married for only a handful of months at that point. Geez crazy people!) A vacation destination, of course. Permanent residence, not so much.

But I think I'm a bit of a gypsy. I think it scares my mom, perhaps making me seem a bit like my grandmother. Shudder. Shudder. But I'm just a gal that craves the exotic, change, challenges, and constant learning. Sigh. Think I should work more to embrace the mundane and show gratitude for what I have. (Thanks to an incredibly introspective blogger by the name of Naiah.)

So I'm going to embrace scrubbing the toilets for the House Guest. Yep, the Pig-penesque man who once tried to get in my pants our freshman year of college. The Banker once wanted to kill this guy. And now he wants me to clean the bathroom for him. How the world goes round...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kat--I just caught the reference to me in here! Excellent! Scrub toilets & floors; fold laundry and run errands lke expressions of affection. You are doing service for your love. There is meaning in it all--but you have to put it there. Awesome!!! I should check further along to see how the visit went...