Monday, November 28, 2005

A tiny bit of relief

I had nightmares for the last four days, and awoke at 5:30 this morning. Stress does that to me. It's ridiculous, I know. All I needed to do was go into work and break the news that I'd be leaving. But guilt is a powerful force for me. Raised a Catholic and having attended an all-girls Catholic highschool, I specialize in guilt. I know its nuances, its varied forms. And I felt it today, especially when my boss asked if there was anything she could do to keep me.

But the deed was done, and as the day passed, my guilt lifted a little. That is until I had to tell my coworkers, and one began to cry. Sigh.

But now it's time to work overtime and help my editorial team prep for a re-design and a double deadline. Oh, and yes, pass the pee test this coming week for the really big company. This is amusing, as I've never had to take a drug test before. Should I forgo my glass(es) of wine the night prior?!? How long does alcohol stay in the system? (Alas, I'm waaaay too lame, too much of a control freak, and guilt-ridden [see above] to have anything else in my system.)

4 comments:

Magazine Man said...

Ah, the pee test. I took mine at my current job 24 hours after moving enough boxes to wreck my back so when I showed up for work, I'm sure I still had trace elements of Vicodin coursing through my veins.

The test came back clean. Go figure.

Meanwhile, my father-in-law the pilot got grounded for repeatedly failing a drug test. The culprit turned out to be the poppy seed muffins he ate for breakfast (the poppies caused a false positive).

So I guess my advice is either don't eat poppy-seed muffins for breakfast. Or else just tank up on the Vicodin. You decide.

Good luck.

Not with the pee test, with the new job. When do you start?

theCallowQueen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
theCallowQueen said...

Yay for Kat! A certain associate art director forwarded you soon-to-be-former boss' goodbye e-mail to me. I must say she shows much more sadness at your departure than she did at mine. Hmm... Guess I shouldn't apply for that empty position. Ha! I could send her my resume. Ha! Now that would be funny.

Don't worry about leaving the team. They're a hearty bunch. They (We?) survived PS leaving and SM. They survived my exit. They will survive and thrive after yours, too. (Although, on occasion, you may--with a twinge of guilt--wish that they wouldn’t thrive so well without you.) It's never a good time to leave a job--especially at that place. There is always more work than can be accomplished. But somehow the important stuff gets done.

And now I won't be the only ex-co-worker at book club!

Really, congratulations, Kat, and I wish you the best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for The Wife, one more step closer to following my PGA Golf career..

Seriously though she has worked very hard for this and deserves everything...